- Clip in – A short-term option for enjoying hair extensions comes with the clip-ins which are easily applied or removed within a matter of minutes. Clip-in extensions are likely to feature a modest to large collection of hair attached to either a comb or clip that is effective at adding an extra degree of length, volume, or highlights. This is likely to feature as one of the less versatile options, but the ease in attaching makes it possible to attach or remove several times per day without needing to be concerned with damage to the natural hair.
- Heat fusion – In the process of applying the heat fusion extensions it is necessary to rely on a specific type of hair-friendly adhesive such as keratin, glue, or wax. It helps to use the most desirable adhesive to match the personal needs and lifestyle, since some of these attachment methods like wax can have a quite low melt point which can result in difficulties when it comes to curling or blow drying. It is also reported that some of the adhesives can damage or otherwise have a negative impact on the hair.
- Cold fusion – A hair extension method that is seeing an increase in popularity includes the process of cold fusion. Cold fusion hair extensions use a similar attaching process seen with heat fusion, but rather than applying an adhesive, a unique ultrasound device is used for creating the strong hold. Since no heat is used in the process of bonding, it is gentle on the hair.
- Skin weft – A skin weft extension is made with wide, long sections that are attached to the natural hair in the upper region and secured in place using glue or tape. This type of extension is easily able to match the natural hair and in most situations it can be very difficult to notice the different between the real hair and extensions. A type of extension that is quite quick and easy to attach in the home without need to visit a professional salon.
- Microbead – A microbead hair extension is highly versatile option and is often usable more than once. A microbead extension relies on using a special metal bead with a silicone inner lining. The method relies on threading the natural hair through the bead with the bonded edge of the extension, which is than secured in place using a clamp system.
Even though it is certain to relate to the type of extension, those that are attached by a professional stylist and given regular maintenance are able to last for 6 months or more. Giving the hair proper treating like brushing daily and using after care products is certain to mean the extension are able to last that longer.
A professional attached extension using the right application techniques is certain to mean the hair is bonded in place without any pain or discomfort. Extensions are only likely to hurt if they aren’t bonded at the ideal distance form the scalp. A poorly attached extension that lies too close to the scalp is certain to cause a range of issues, such as those related to headaches, hair breakage, general pain, and even alopecia.
Provided that the extensions are attached to a high standard, they are likely to be virtually invisible and it shouldn’t be possible to notice them. Since the bonds are placed near to the head and not the hairline, they are highly discreet and impossible to differentiate from you own hair. Also, it is still possible to wear the hair in a range of styles provided the hair isn’t pulled in a direction that could expose the extensions.